Five keys to delivering impeccable customer service
A happy customer is a loyal customer.
Peter Markham | REGIONAL SALES MANAGER
A Dealer recently contacted me to pass along a comment from one of his customers. This customer had received an order that had been damaged during shipment. He contacted his Dealer the next day to make him aware of the damage. The Dealer jumped to action and contacted AMSOIL. After calling Telephone Ordering, the local distribution center promptly responded to the damaged shipment and a replacement was shipped the next day. The Dealer took it upon himself to notify the customer of the replacement being shipped that day and apologized for the problems his customer had encountered with the order.
After the dust settled, the Dealer forwarded me the latest email from the customer: “No problem,” the email read. “Things happen and sometimes there is damage. The important thing, I think, is how companies respond. I think you guys rock! Thanks for the super-quick turnaround.”
What a great response to get from a customer. And this was all a result of providing great customer service. The Dealer could have just notified Telephone Ordering of the situation and left it at that. However, he stayed involved with the process and communicated with the customer until the problem was resolved. In the end, the Dealer has a customer who will remember how he worked to resolve the issue.
This is a great example of how providing outstanding customer service can turn a tough break into a winning situation. Going the extra mile is something that should be on your mind at all times. After all, this is your business – you are the face of AMSOIL to your customer
This Dealer’s experience offers a great opportunity to highlight how you can provide outstanding customer service and, hopefully, cultivate loyalty among your customers.
- Reliability – Nothing ruins a relationship like someone not living up to his or her word. Make sure your customers know that they can count on you to do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it. When your customers see consistent patterns from you, their trust in you grows, along with their willingness to continue purchasing AMSOIL products.
- Credibility – This is a natural outgrowth of reliability. Your credibility is enhanced when you do exactly what you say you will do, each and every time. Your customers expect your actions to deliver on your words. Don’t let them down, or else they’ll turn elsewhere.
- Responsiveness – We tell Dealers this often, but it bears repeating: return calls and emails from customers promptly. I can’t tell you the frustration some would-be AMSOIL customers have when their attempts to reach a Dealer go unanswered. Empathize with your customers and understand their urgency. Set expectations for how quickly you can respond to calls and emails. If your retail account needs you to place an order, can they count on you responding in one hour or one day? What should they do if they can’t reach you? Make sure you share this information with customers up front.
- Know your customers – Which products do they usually order? What equipment do they have? If it’s a retail or commercial business, who are their customers? The more you know about your customers, the better you can anticipate their needs and serve them. In addition, harboring a deep knowledge of your customers helps you provide additional product recommendations.
- Express thanks – A little bit of appreciation can go a long way. Be sure to let your customers know that their business means a great deal to you. Send a thank-you note once in a while. Consider sending them a hat, t-shirt, bottle of AMSOIL P.i. or other small gift as appreciation for their patronage.
These are just a few of the things you can do to provide exceptional customer service. Compared with the poor service people have come to expect from some other businesses, practicing these guidelines can position you as a shining star in their world. What is your reward for providing exceptional customer service? A loyal customer who will stick with you in the future. Not only that, but a happy customer is also far more likely to share his experience with others, helping you land even more customers.
Join us as an AMSOIL Dealer. We’ll help you get prepared for serving customers locally and effectively!